Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Realistic Long Term Investments

I've been writing love letters to Angelina Jolie. I send about 1 a week and roses fortnightly. Daily, I send her emails asking her if she has eaten well and whether she's had a good day.

I consider this a long term view on my investments. In time, my love to Angelina Jolie will bear fruit. Oh Angelina, how I've carried a torch for you since I saw you in Hackers. I've stuck steadfastly beside you since your breakout role and worshipped the countless silver screens upon which you've graced us with your presence.

Oh how others laugh and make jibes at my investments but I believe in time, my true love (no one, not even Brad can love you like I do) will bear fruit and I will stand vindicated.

But, "Be still." says my rational mind. "Are these realistic long term investments?"

Never has an article reminded me so succinctly, the love and the torch I bear for Angelina. I must take the long term view I tell myself, but never have my logical thoughts been louder.

I read, breath in throat, as Finance Minister Shanmugaratnam spoke about the US$ 2.3 billion to 4.6 billion loss. I recalled how you told us that it was a "long term investment" when others questioned its prudence as a purchase during a collapsing global economy. I wept, as Temasek gave up and lost money in their other "long term investments". Oh, how the course of true love never did run smooth. I'm a true blue Singaporean it seems, my love for Angelina is the same. I see the parallels. My love will see me victorious.

As others panicked and gave up their stocks in questionable banks and firms, Temasek Holdings held true and continued to, as the Financial Times put it "Buy high and sell low."

But no, I won't panic Ms. Jolie, I'll double my efforts to woo you no matter the cost.

Many people still laugh at me as I continue to invest in my pursuit of you Ms. Jolie.

But when I invest, I'm investing for 10, 15, 20 years. It may look like I'm making a loss, but I have not borrowed my emotions to invest- my heart is true. I will ride the storm and in time, make beautiful babies with you.

"Be still my heart," sayeth my rational mind again.

"Is this a realistic long term investment?"

3 comments:

  1. "Is this a realistic long term investment?"

    Yes, very realistic as long as your Angelina Jolie is the nickname for LKY's daughter Dr Lee Wei Ling.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't help thinking that our PAP leaders just keep telling us lies to cover previous lies.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Matilah_SingapuraMay 21, 2009 at 6:32 AM

    Many people (including myself) hae been criticizing the idea of the govt having this HUGE investment arm - Temasek - which has the ability to unilaterally spend money (other peoples money) on "investments". Oh well, the people get the govt they deserve, so I don't really think the blame should be on the govt.

    As for writing to Ms Jolie - at least you use your OWN RESOURCES. In the case of the Temasek, fuck it - they can do what they like because it money they lose doesn't come out of their own pockets.

    ReplyDelete