Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Contemplating a new look


Eeps was down from Melbourne and after an exhausting 5 hr trek of Singapore's "premier" shopping belt, we ended the day with fruit tarts at the delicious new Fruit Paradise.

One thing's for certain, the Singaporean food critic is an odd creature, review websites across the red dot have commented that the tarts are not sweet enough.

I disagree.

The sweetness of the fruits is precisely the reason why the cream stays light and fluffy- to have both topping and base in sugar synchronicity will kill both taste senses and liver processes. I've noticed that the average Ah Teck is going to shovel the entire dish down, essentially skipping the palette and aiming for a general taste before rapid chewing and a trip down the throat.

The degustation process is best aided with a slow and appreciative enjoyment of the taste contrasts and flavors. To wolf down your meals would do your tongue a complete disservice and deprive the brain of all the possible taste sensations. Additionally, some genius chose to comment on the japanese curry and rice at a FRUIT PARADISE.

But I digress. Eeps, myself and the gf enjoyed the tarts immensely, but it's what followed that was the greatest fun by far. Like food tasting, the review and conceptualisation of a new look is a fairly slow but wonderfully enjoyable process.

Helping Eeps look for new spectacles before he headed back to cost-prohibitive Melbourne prompted us to head to Eye-play over at the Heeren. It wasn't the gorgeous BOSS glasses that caught our attention.

It was the wood veneer (or were they completely wood) "Buddy Holly" glasses that caught our attention. After screwing around with the Potter glasses, we had more or less settled the glasses for Eeps. Leaving the gf to muck around and decide a new look for me- the nerd.
Not that I'd mind.

$206 for the glasses and hi-index lens. What I am interested in is however a new suit to match the glasses.

Ah decisions decisions.

I've just sent my Louis Khoo LevelNine rimless glasses in for servicing and the thought of returning to my consumerist lifestyle after two months (successful I might add) cold-turkey non-shopping lifechange reeks too heavily of failure and defeat for me to find even the most fashionably attractive ideas intriguing.

The psychological battle rages on but most importantly, how could I ever measure to THE MAN- Buddy Holly- He's the epitome of Nerd Cool. Rocker Nerd, an anti-thesis and an accurate description of my personality. The very idea of this tempts me to the core.

No comments:

Post a Comment