Monday, April 20, 2009

Badvertising

It's monday morning and I'm already wondering- What the Fuck were they thinking.

Whenever I'm faced with bad adverts (badvertising- my term), I'm impressed by two factors:
  • The skill of their Account Executives in getting their clients to accept lack lustre and poor advertising concepts.
  • The inability of the creatives to come up with non-vomit inducing ideas.
Today, Abbott graces the inaugural post for "Badvertising"- a whole new category for Tantalizine. Witness- the power of advertising as they try to convince you, that- "YOUR KIDS CAN GET FLY HIGH. And THEY CAN GET HIGHER."

Nothing sells like a kid hooked on drugs.

Yes. I understand that the product is- VIDAYLIN. But other than getting high, I've no idea what else it's supposed to do for my child.

And making my kid look CREEPY AND FREAKY in a teddy bear suit.
  • What the hell is going on?
  • Is my kid dressed like a teddy bear cos he's high?
  • Or are his parents dressing him that way cos they're high?
More importantly, who's already high?
  • The people that agreed this was the badvertising campaign they wanted?
  • The creatives that conceptualised this bit of badvertising?
What were they smoking? And can I have some?

1 comment:

  1. There's a 3rd factor for bad ads, and quite often, its the main factor:

    The clients have their own "brilliant" idea, and nothing you say or do can change their mind. And you bend-over-backward to please boss is just too happy to comply. Fact.

    ReplyDelete